Does anyone remember the days of doing constant surveys on LiveJournal and MySpace? So those days never actually ended for me. I still love to do them, even when nobody else really participates, if only so that I can document the changes I’ve gone through over the years. So here’s the end-of-the-year survey I do every year! If you decide to do it too, link back here! I’d love to read it!
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
I went to Canada!
The only country I’d ever been to outside of the US was Japan to study abroad, and that was 7 (coming up on 8) years ago! I was really happy to travel again! Even if it’s just crossing a border! I hope to do more travel this year– maybe head west across the States!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes and No. I lost weight, but not quite the amount I wanted to. Still, I’m at my lowest weight since middle school and that’s something to be proud of! The total failure was finances. I’m not in trouble or anything, but I didn’t keep as on top of things as I wanted to.
So yeah, I’m rolling the finance resolution over to 2014!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nah. Thank goodness, because I totally want to own THIS SHIRT by Kate Beaton. I just don’t care about babies, man.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. My boyfriend’s grandmother died, though, and he was very close to her. I do wish I could have met her before she passed away. She sounds like she was such a cool lady.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
More financial stability and more clothes! But I’m pretty sure those two are mutually exclusive…
Also, a ring! *WINK*
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 30th! I was a bridesmaid at my oldest and dearest friend’s wedding!
Classy as fuck.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I’ve become a bit more comfortable driving and I managed to basically live on my own in a city with no friends or family while my boyfriend traveled for work.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Some emotional failures. Mental health is some crazy junk, y’all.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got sick SO MUCH this year! I’m guessing the move to Pittsburgh’s what done did it. The climate is so different from back home (and frankly the air quality here isn’t… the best).
11. What was the best thing you bought?
New laptop! My old one was a real hunka junk, being 7 years old (which is, like, 250 in computer years), so the upgrade was so so so nice. I was a little scared about Windows 8, but it turns out it’s not too bad at all, hurrah! Certainly better than Vista, which is what I was coming from!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
As always, my little bro! He bought a house at the age of 22 this year! Just, like, on his own! Bought a house! Holy moly!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
So many patrons, oh man.
14. Where did most of your money go?
AINT NOTHIN’ GOIN’ ON BUT THE RENT.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Pirates making it to the playoffs! Woooo! We were defeated, but not by much! And ball games were a great way to spend time with my boyfriend! We also got a private tour of PNC park!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Death Cab for Cutie – Rockin’ Chair
It’s a cover of a song by The Band. When I first heard it on the radio this year, I cried and cried and cried. I guess you never realize how much you miss home until you’ve left it behind. My ears perk up whenever I heard a song about Virginia, and since it’s been a rough year for me, this one hit me hard.
17. Compared to this time last year:
Happier or Sadder? A little of both. Happier in some areas, sadder in some.
Older or Wiser? Both! How could one not be older, though?
Thinner or Fatter? Thinner, actually! Yay!
Richer or Poorer? Poorer BY FAR. Livin’ on your own is rough stuff, y’all.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Wish I’d gotten out more– engaged in more hobbies. Wish I had become more independent! Wish I’d traveled more! But there’s always time!
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Gotten overly emotional about things. Gotten irritated. Gotta learn to control that a bit more.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Going home to Virginia to spend time with my family and hopefully some friends! Yisssss!
21. How will you be spending New Years Eve?
Not quite sure yet, but hopefully someone is having a bash because I want an excuse to wear a silver sequined dress, dammit!
22. Did you fall in love in 2013?
I stayed in love with my boyf!
23. How many one-night stands?
500! Or none. Yeah. None.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Hmmmm! I just love TV so much that it’s hard to choose! One of the only NEW (to me) things I watched was American Horror Story. So good! Well… the second season, anyway. The first season, maybe not as much.
But my boyfriend and I also watched Hemlock Grove, which was amazingly bizarrely not good. It was such a weirdness train wreck that we couldn’t look away. Can’t wait to see season two (and am hoping the two main dudes act on their intense sexual chemistry. Sadly they were in love with the same girl who is also one of their sister-cousins :S).
Pretty awesome werewolf transformations, though.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Haha, oh my gosh. Not hate… but yeah there are some people I could deal with never having to see ever again, that’s for sure.
26. What was the best book you read?
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker!!
Go read it go read it! So good! Love!
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Urrrr. God, I don’t know! I love all the bands I always have. Maybe The Head and the Heart?
29. What did you want and not get?
A promotion! Dang! Gotta work harder, I guess!
30. What was your favorite film(s) of this year?
Oh my goodnesssss, Frozen, maybe? I was so excited because of my Lapland ancestry! How neat!
I can’t wait to go see it again. I’d also like to go see Catching Fire again!
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25! Quarter century crisis time! And my boyfriend took me to the zoo. It was raining very slightly and was in the middle of the day, so we were LITERALLY the only ones there! It was amaaaaazing!
32. What would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Maybe becoming debt-free! I suppose I can’t be too upset, because my debt is NOTHING compared to so many other people. But it would still be great to have my credit card free and clear!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
HAHA. Oh jeeze. I had promised myself to start working on dressing more “me.” Unfortunately, finances got in the way. Maybe nest year!
34. What kept you sane?
Netflix, man. Netflix.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jennifer Lawrence~! I have such a crush on her right now! And Lee Pace!
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Reproductive rights and family planning are always my jam. Don’t see that one changing!
37. Who did (do) you miss?
Everyone! My family and friends are all 7 hours away and I miss them a ton!
38. Who was the best new person/ people you met?
My bud Theresa from work! She makes me feel like not a total outcast lame-o.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013:
Every relationship has its ups and downs and you can’t just freak out over a fight. It’s not the end of the world. Every couple fights sometimes and you just have to learn how to sincerely apologize and move on from there.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Oh to be home again,
Down in ol’ Virginny.